Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The cookie monster strikes again


I was a Sesame Street fanatic growing up. Every afternoon I sat in front of the television to watch the show while I munched on my usual orange-colored snack (a carrot and an orange). Grover, Big Bird, Oscar, they were all great, but my favorite character was Cookie Monster. I didn't live in a garbage can like Oscar, and I didn't have an imaginary friend like Big Bird, and so it was Cookie Monster with whom I most related. Because yes, even though my mom, well meaning as she was, gave me an orange and a carrot to eat as a snack, I really wished that I were gobbling cookies like my blue fuzzy friend.


Well, now I have a kitchen of my own and I get to feed myself anything that I choose. And yet I barely ever think to bake cookies. But tonight was one of those rainy evenings on which I was feeling restless and tired but still itching to bake something comforting and sweet.



I had mentally bookmarked the recipe for "Very Chocolate Cookies" when I saw it on David Lebovitz's blog a few months ago. Tonight seemed like the perfect time to try it out.

If you're a chocolaholic like I am, then these are the cookies for you. This recipe does not mess around, either, because it calls for *three* forms of chocolate (powdered, chunk, and chip/nib). The cookies are buttery and rich. They contain no eggs and so they do not come out puffy and smooshy as many homemade cookies typically do. Rather, this recipe produces a cookie that is more crumbly and concentrated with chocolate flavor. Imagine droplets of delicious buttery and rich chocolate entering your mouth. Cookie Monster would be so proud (or maybe just jealous).

Very chocolate cookies, available at the David Lebovitz food blog; the recipe is originally by Clotilde of Chocolate and Zucchini

2 comments:

  1. ohhh i need to get one of those mats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, you do. They are awesome, great for rolling out pie crust dough actually ;)

    ReplyDelete