Sunday, October 11, 2009

Big Apple "Pancake" for brunch with the sisters

My sister who now lives in Asheville, NC was in town for a brief visit, but she had time for only one meal--brunch. She and my other sister contemplated eating out but I insisted that we stay in. This way, I could try out a new recipe on them!

I had recently been perusing old archived Gourmet Magazine recipes, as a tribute to the canceled magazine. One that immediately caught my eye was their Big Apple Pancake recipe, especially since apple season is now in full swing. It sounded (and looked) delicious and my sisters are generally exceedingly patient when it comes to my trying out new recipes on them.

Well this recipe did not disappoint. It was relatively simple to execute, tasty, and a little bit different from your standard brunch fare. The one comment that my sisters had was that the product does not really taste like a pancake; it's more of a cross between a sponge cake, frittata, french toast, and a pancake. Regardless, this apple whatever-you-call-it is worth making. I highly recommend it, and I'm definitely going to keep this recipe on file for future brunches.



Below is the recipe. I skimped on the butter a bit and used 2% instead of whole milk, and the pancake still turned out splendidly. I'd like to try using buttermilk instead of regular milk next time.

Big Apple Pancake, recipe from Gourmet Magazine

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 1 large sweet apple such as Gala or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide wedges
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Confectioners sugar for dusting
Special equipment:
  • a well-seasoned 10- to 11-inch heavy cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet
To prepare:
  • Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
  • Melt butter in skillet over moderate heat, then transfer 2 tablespoons to a blender. Add apple wedges to skillet and cook, turning over once, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
  • While apple is cooking, add milk, flour, eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt to butter in blender and blend until smooth.
  • Pour batter over apple and transfer skillet to oven.
  • Bake until pancake is puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.

4 comments:

  1. Did the apples need to be really firm for this recipe? Wonder if it'd work nicely with pears?

    Looks DELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that'd work! i wonder... you might want to cut a bit of the milk to compensate. But i can imagine a lot of fruit working well. let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this actually sounds delicious. Maheer and I just went apple picking and we have 30 lbs of apples in our fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh my goodness! im so jealous! make one of these. and bake an apple pie for me!
    (PS-law students and CV fellows aren't supposed to have time to apple pick!)

    ReplyDelete