Thursday, October 29, 2009

Almost like stone soup


In the fairy tale Stone Soup, a stranger (or maybe it was a group of strangers?) visits a village and tricks the residents into providing the ingredients for a soup. I guess there are some morals that one should take from this story, such as the values and merits of sharing, generosity, and cooperation, but what always fascinated me in this story was the idea that they had created a luscious soup out of the most simple of ingredients.



Recently I saw a recipe for saffron tomato soup on the food blog, Confessions of a Tart . The recipe immediately caught my eye because it seemed pretty simple in terms of implementation, plus I didn't have to leave my house to buy ingredients because I had everything that I needed on hand.


In my opinion, the product of this recipe is a stone soup. I say this not because I tricked anyone into donating ingredients to my dinner cause, but rather because the recipe is so simple, requires minimal ingredients and time, and yet the soup comes out tasting so damn good.

The recipe calls for chicken broth and drumsticks. I didn't use drumsticks and used vegetable instead of chicken broth, and the soup came out nicely. Whatever you do, though, don't skimp on the saffron. That's the special ingredient that makes this soup special and not your run of the mill tomato soup.




Tomato Saffron soup, available at Confessions of a Tart


2 comments:

  1. Mmm. This look so easy and yummy! I think I'll try this recipe. I remember making stone soup in school and we actually put stones into the soup! Your new camera takes amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good! You should definitely try it. That's so fun that you made real stone soup...did anyone chip a toothe?

    ReplyDelete