Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines Day Oreos


It all started innocently enough. We were invited to a Valentine's party and I wanted to make cookies. I remembered the homemade oreo cookie that I had tried (and loved) on a previous occasion and thought this the perfect excuse to try the recipe again. Of course I could not resist the idea of making the cookies heart-shaped, but the cheap-skate in me did not permit me to run out and buy a heart shaped cookie cutter for this one occasion. So I searched my house high and low for something that could stand in as a cookie cutter until I discovered an old plastic heart-shaped container that had previously held m&ms. PERFECT. Never mind that this heart-shape was completely enormous and would cut equally enormous chunks of dough that would become even more ridiculously large after baking.




Well, after first batch entered the oven I realized just how bad of an idea this really was. The cookies had trouble holding themselves together, and they grew so large while baking that some of the dough expanded beyond the cookie sheet, fell on an oven coil and started a mini fire that I had to extinguish with baking soda. So much for heart-shaped oreos.

After that fiasco I followed the recipe and took teaspoon sized scoops of dough, shaped these into small balls, and then flattened them to produce more traditional, round cookies. I was still not beyond dying the oreo filling pink in honor of the holiday and so my red food coloring was put to good use.

In any case I'm posting this recipe because the cookies are delicious (esp. when baked the appropriate size). They taste like store-bought oreos ... but oh so much better!


And as you can see, spreading the filling on these cookies is lots of fun:

The recipe can be found on the smitten kitchen blog.

1 comment: